Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Joseph's Corner: Day 5, Finishing Strong!

Monday was the last day, and was full of so many different feelings. The strongest was by far the happiness I felt for Rowan and all of BCVI, that this ambitious idea was finished without a problem. I definitely felt some personal satisfaction as well for finishing this intense trek. But I was a little sad that it was over. It definitely felt unreal that we had actually finished something which had been looming in front of us in all our minds for a long time, but it was also very real that, now the walk was over, there would be only a fraction of the attention we deserved on the BCVI.

But we definitely had our moment. And a big one. As we walked the last 1 or 2 miles in our 13 mile-long day, traffic stopped on both sides of the road to cheer us on. There were also a bunch of people who were taking pictures and videotaping us as we walked by, so who knows, we might go viral! We ended at the parking lot of the BCVI main headquarters and the Lion's Club building, which is where the camp is being held. There was a huge crowd waiting for us, and meeting all our supporters and kids who are going to the camp was another eye-opening experience. Actually seeing who is being affected by this fundraiser, how much they need it, and how much they look forward to it gave me even more purpose for this walk. It also motivated so much more to help them during camp and for the next two weeks help change their lives.

After the congratulating and cheerful supporters left, the Garels, Paul and I had our first day in a long time where we could relax and finally spend an afternoon not worrying about surviving the next day. And man, the nap I took that day felt amazing. With that and the great night of sleep I got, finally being able to sleep in past 3:30, I fully prepared to take on the other half of my trip-camp. I was looking forward to what might happen; I had no idea what was in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment